Sunday, July 06, 2008

Philosophy and physics

I keep wondering what Einstein was really talking about when he came up with the theory of Relativity. Something very deep about the concept.
Now I have started wondering whether Newton was being a bit of a philosopher too when he compiled the Laws of Motion.
Corpus omne perseverare in statu suo quiescendi vel movendi uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus a viribus impressis cogitur statum illum mutare. (Translation: Every body perseveres in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight forward, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by force impressed.)
Simply put, a body at rest tends to be at rest. The famous first law or the law of inertia.
Here in Malaysia, I feel exactly the same way. With nothing much to do, I tend to do pretty much nothing.
The problem is who or what will compel me to change this state of rest?

No comments: