Thursday, August 07, 2008

Alvida Andheri(e)

Shifted from one Mumbai suburb (Andheri) to another (Bandra).
Andheri (East) wasn't exactly a foodie heaven. The daily fare was generally restricted to two places close to home - Sai Krishna for vegetarian and Sai Punjab for non-vegetarian. There was a Chindian (Chinese food Indian style) shack that I did try with Bhonpu, but not really thanking him for that.
Pepperoni pizzas from Domino's were something we could always fall back upon; a Kebab Corner that was thankfully much better than the Sai restaurants; Pop Tate's for a drink and a steak; a Subway sandwich once in the entire year; and an occasional "family restaurant & bar" - all put together did not go a long way in helping me achieving my target of 150 eateries by June (as I had written here in April)!

Now that I am in Bandra, and armed with the new food guide, I have more places to explore, albeit very expensive ones! But how can I leave Andheri (East) without mentioning my recommendation - Maharaja!
Maharaja is located at the crossing of the Western-Express Highway and Andheri-Kurla Road, and looks like one of the shady restaurant-bars that serve a very different sort of exotic fare after nightfall. But the food is fantastic! Coastal cuisine with appams, neer dosas and lightly spiced curries, and good service, make up for the location, decor and everything else that goes into a restaurant's rating.
Looks are really deceiving, and I would suggest that you try it out before the Mumbai Metro construction blocks it from not-so-observant eyes.

No comments: